Food & Drink Recipes
Spicy Indian Omelette Wrap with Zingy Green Ketchup
This Indian style omelette, often called Masala omelette, is made with the addition on of spices which can vary depending on which region of India it is being made. Common ingredients used are finely chopped chillies, chopped onions, fresh coriander, dried coriander, cumin and turmeric
RECIPE SERVES: Makes 1 serving
For the Zingy Green Ketchup
1 medium green chillies, roughly chopped (take the seeds out if you wish)
Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cloves of garlic
Handful of fresh coriander
Juice of 1 lime
A glug of Olive Oil
Pinch of salt and caster sugar
For the Omelette
1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
2 spring onions
2 free-range eggs, whisked
1/3 teaspoon ground coriander
1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 teaspoon of ground turmeric
A little chopped fresh coriander
1 chapatti (try making them from scratch using Food Nation’s Chapatti recipe)
• First make your green ketchup. Put the chillies, ginger, garlic, herbs, sugar and salt in a pestle and mortar and bash to make a smooth paste. Add the juice of 1 lime and mix thoroughly. Taste to see if it needs more lime juice or seasoning.
• Now to make the omelette. Preheat your frying pan and add the oil. Gently fry the spring onion until soft.
• In the meantime, whisk your eggs in a bowl and mix in all the remaining omelette ingredients. Add this mixture to your frying pan and cook until pretty much set on top, this should take about 5 minutes.
• As an option, when the omelette is very nearly set you can quickly pop it under the grill to finish it off if that’s how you like yours.
• Get your chapatti wrap ready and place your omelette on top. Add a drizzle of your zingy green ketchup. Wrap it up like a swiss roll and enjoy!